Monday, August 24, 2015

10 Random College Football Thoughts


There are 10 days until the college football season kicks off on September 3.  So I decided to give 10 quick thoughts on the upcoming season like I did a year ago.

1.     I think TCU isn’t going to be denied this season and will win the National Championship.  The Horned Frogs won their last game of the regular season 55-3 but were left out of the party a year ago as Ohio State stole the last playoff spot.  This season, TCU does not play a preseason top 25 team until November 21.  While a showdown with Baylor in the regular season finale looms, no one’s stopping the Horned Frogs from making this season’s playoff.

2.     I think it doesn’t matter who starts at quarterback for Ohio State.  It’s an obviously hot topic of discussion entering the season but whether it’s JT Barrett or Cardale Jones won’t matter big picture.  The Buckeyes roster is loaded.

3.     I think Wisconsin’s Corey Clement is going to win the Doak Walker Award as the nation’s top running back.  As a backup to Melvin Gordon a year ago, Clement ran for 949 yards on 6.5 yards per carry.  As the volume increases, the yards will explode and Clement will be the next great Wisconsin running back.

4.     I think Michigan State’s Connor Cook throws for 4,000 yards. I promise I’ll stop thinking about the Big 10 after this but I think Cook’s in for a big year with the backfield in East Lansing unproven.

5.     I think Ole Miss is going to make the playoff.  Perhaps the boldest one of my thoughts but there are a lot of elite college football players at Ole Miss like wide receiver Laquon Treadwell and defensive linemen Robert Nkemdiche. A week three upset at Alabama will get this group of Rebels off and running.

6.     I think Oregon finishes the year unranked.  The Ducks have some difficult road Pac-12 games and also has to travel to Michigan State early in the season so I see a down year for the Ducks. USC is the best team in the Pac-12 in my opinion.

                           Cooper Neill/Getty Images
7.     I think Florida’s Vernon Hargreaves III is the best defensive player in the country.  A very fluid corner that makes things look easy with his speed.  Hargreaves led the SEC in pass breakups last season as a sophomore and is only getting better.  Gators fans should enjoy him before he starts playing on Sundays.

8.     I think LSU’s Leonard Fournette leads the SEC in rushing.  I’ll take him over Derrick Henry and Nick Chubb. Keep an eye on Alex Collins at Arkansas with Jonathan Williams out for the year but Fournette leads the way on the ground in the best conference in America.

9.     I think Laquon Treadwell wins the Fred Biletnikoff award as the nation's top receiver. He’s a big reason why my fifth thought exists.



10.  I think TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin (right) wins the Heisman.  I’m buying the TCU hype and I love their dual-threat signal caller.  His senior season will be special.


No comments:

Post a Comment